Wednesday, May 16, 2007

No server dreams tonight, please!

I've been a server for about a year now...at three different restaurants. I hate saying that to people, because I sound like a job hopper. I'm not.

  1. Restaurant A (hereafter known as RA)
    1. May '06-August '06
    2. First serving job. Really liked the people at first, but got tired of the management, sexual harassment, and just...the people.
    3. Left because it was just a summer job back home...had to go back to school.
  2. Restaurant B (hereafter known as RB)
    1. September '06-May '07
    2. Got a job there because my roommate already worked there and recommended me. Great co-workers, fabulous management. We were never busy, and I made no money; however, I absolutely loved working there.
    3. Left because the restaurant closed.
  3. Restaurant C (hereafter known as RC)
    1. Current job
    2. Was thankfully able to transfer here, because it is also part of the same company as RB. I'm not finished training yet, but so far the people are nice. I'm ready to make some money!
    3. Hopefully not leaving for awhile.
I'm sure I'll be discussing my life as a server a lot in this blog, because it's a big part of my life. So much, in fact, that I tend to have (as I'm sure many servers do) "server dreams".

A server dream is a very stressful, very realistic dream that involves myself--what else?--serving. My whole dream consists of managing tables, and I usually get very stressed out while I sleep. Sometimes my dreams get so overwhelming that they wake me up. I really hate them, because it makes me think that I work too much. I do. But that's not the point.

I had my first server dream in a good while last night. It involved a table with a very, very, very rude woman. I did everything I could to please her, but nothing seemed to go right. I ended up neglecting my other tables in the act. During one part of the dream, I remember walking by her and seeing her give her husband two dollars. He said, "Shouldn't we leave her more?" She said, "Are you kidding? She's a terrible server. She hasn't done anything right. Why should I feel guilty about not leaving her more?" But I wasn't a terrible server.

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. I think I was just anxious about my second day of training tomorrow. I'm sure there will be more server dreams to be had in the next couple of weeks as I continue to grab the reins of RC.

Just not tonight, please.

*********************************

"Honey, this ice is just too cold." -- This was actually said to one of the bartenders at RB once.

No comments: