Wednesday, February 20, 2008

PARTY MONSTER....VIEW THIS FILM!!
























Okay, for those of you who have never seen/heard of Party Monster, it takes place in NYC during the late 80s/early 90s. The movie is based on the book Disco Bloodbath by James St. James (Seth Green's character), which is a true story about Michael Alig's (Mac Culkin's character) rise to fame in the clubscene.

From Wikipedia:





"Party Monster (2003) is a drama/dark comedy that details the rise and fall of infamous homosexual[1][2]New York party promoter Michael Alig. The movie stars former child star Macaulay Culkin as the drug addled "King of the Club Kids". Also in the film are Seth Green as the flamboyant and slightly smarter James St. James, Dylan McDermott as Alig's boss/father figure Peter Gatien, Chloƫ Sevigny as Alig's girlfriend/fag hag Gitsie, Wilmer Valderrama as his onetime boyfriend DJ Keoki, Wilson Cruz as drug dealer/Club Kid wannabe Angel Melendez, and Marilyn Manson as Christina, a transsexual member of Alig's entourage. A number of real life club kids appeared as extras, including fashion designer Richie Rich and David LaChapelle's transsexual muse Amanda Lepore.

The film is based on St. James' novel Disco Bloodbath, and details his friendship with Alig, which fell apart as Alig's drug addiction worsened, and ended after he murdered Melendez and went to prison. "


And no, I did not just give anything away; you find out about the murder in the first scene.

Anyyyyyway, this movie is scary at times, heartbreaking at times, mind blowing at times, and hilarious at times. I will admit that I find Mac's performance to be a little annoying at times (although I know this is how the real Michael Alig acted); however, SETH GREEN STEALS THE SHOW!! He is absolutely brilliant!!

Alright, you have your assignment; NOW GO!

PS: I also highly recommend researching the phenomena of the Club Kids, as it is highly fascinating (at least to me anyway).

************************************************
"I am not addicted to drugs; I'm addicted to glamour." -- James St. James

4 comments:

.Nicotine.Queen. said...

I'm totally going to watch it this weekend. I just found out Studio 54 is now a theater.

Ms. Cynic said...

Ooooh, that is so cool! My past New Year's Eve w/ my friends was Studio 54 themed....a blast!!

The Ambiguous Blob said...

It looks really bad, actually. But I can get into bad movies if they're REALLY rich with bad characters and costumes.

Ms. Cynic said...

LoL

Welllllll.....if you like REALLY campy movies, then see it! When I first started watching it, I was like, "Wtf did I get myself into?" But it grew on me! :O)

(And apparently the book as FAR better than the movie--which is usually always the case anyway--but I've yet to read it.>